Elliott has always been an overly cautious boy, but lately I have been wandering how much of that is his natural temperament and how much of it is due to my somewhat overly cautious parenting style. I try not to be that parent, and I don't think of myself that way, but signs do point suspiciously in that direction.
A friend on Facebook has a contest going with her husband to see who can say the fewest curse words over the next two weeks in order to curb their potty mouth ways around their baby daughter. Although I could definitely use this contest as well, it inspired me to do something a little different.
When I was working on the last few blog entries, I had to edit out me saying "careful" to Elliott several different times, and I was usually saying it for very little reason at all. Hearing it made me cringe. Then I heard myself saying it throughout the day ALL the time. It was my catch phrase for everything! Elliott would stand on the couch - I would say, "careful." Elliott would back his trike into the door - I would say, "careful." Elliott would run past the dining room table and almost hit his head - I would say, "careful." Elliott would walk on an uneven sidewalk with ups and downs - I would say, "careful." And so on and so on.
I had no idea I was saying it so much! It terrified me! The ridiculous part about it is that Elliott is already such a cautious and timid boy that there can't be many genuine times I would ever need to tell him to be careful. So now I have a No Saying "Careful" rule. I have to think of a different word if I want to say something, and hopefully that will give me enough time to determine if I really need to use any word at or, or more likely just let Elliott figure the moment out on his own.
I made this rule yesterday. It is 10 AM now, and I have already slipped twice. That is just crazy to me! So I am documenting my rule here to see if it helps. Maybe I will note my progress every once and a while along the way. My sister will be be visiting us for two weeks, and I bet she will be more than happy to help rid me of this nasty habit.
Wish me and Elliott luck. I am determined!
i probably say careful tons too! now i'm going to be paying attention! sometimes the situation does call for it, but it's a good idea to keep all things in moderation! good luck!
ReplyDeletetee hee. you know I will. if it's any consolation, you'll probably say it half as much to baby #2. try saying the thing he should be careful of...like: table or better yet, don't say anything at all and practice cringing inwardly. I usually couple the inward cringe with turning away and closing my eyes....then listening for the cry or more likely silence as they go on.
ReplyDelete