It has been a long time since I did a status update on Elliott, so I thought this monumental moment of turning 1 1/2 years old called for one (a very long one, too long and a bit boring one might say)...
Elliott is a very happy, inquisitive, and (generally) content toddler. I could just sit and watch him explore and play for hours and hours (although he would quickly insist I play with him). He is still pretty cautious and timid, but I have discovered he usually settles into a new environment within 10 minutes or so and then is off running. He acquired the skill of whining several months ago, but has recently taken it to an entirely new level (looks like he takes after his Mama in at least one way after all). I think this is partly caused by his frustration with not being able to communicate what he wants (we are working on words and sign language!). He is also into EVERYTHING. I must admit we have done a terrible job child proofing, but it seems we discover something new to add to the list of Need To Child Proof/Lock Down/Move/Get Rid Of every day. I think this is all Elliott's way of encouraging me to take him outdoors the moment he wakes up. It never pays to be lazy around here, although I have a hard time learning that.
At around 17 months, Elliott finally discovered separation and stranger anxieties. I really thought he somehow skipped those two milestones, but it seems he's just a late bloomer. At the same time he discovered his love for Mama - both the person and word! Unfortunately, this often means only Mama will do. This is especially true for bath and bedtime and really just about any time I try to leave his sight. (That means no YMCA free babysitters for Mama!)
We went to Elliott's 18 mth old check up last week, and here are his measurements:
Height: 33 1/2 inches (75%)
Weight: 25 lbs, 2 oz (45 %)
11 teeth (he was teething from 15 mths - 18 mths as 7 of those teeth came in!)
Favorite Pastimes:
Oakland Zoo (favorite animals - flamingos, giraffes, any bird, elephants, otters, goats, monkeys)
Music Together
Kindergym
Playgrounds (sandbox, swing, slide)
Going for walks while I push him in his red car
Coloring with crayons and sidewalk chalk
Pointing at things for Mama and Dada to label them
Listening to music/dancing
Playing hide and seek
Running (especially into someones arms or as chase with Dada)
Putting things (i.e. blocks, cars, rocks, shoes) in a straight row or in and out of containers
Looking at bugs on the bush outside our livingroom window
Helping Mama unload the groceries
Watching the garbage/recycling/compost trucks every Thursday
Saying good-bye to Dada in the window every morning and hello at the door every night
Talking on phone to Dada
Video Skyping with the Grandmoms
Bath Time
Opening all drawers/cabinets that we don't have locks on and pulling out all of their contents
Riding his Trike - newest favorite pastime
Favorite Toys
Plastic Farm Animals
Pianos
Books
Musical caterpillar
Musical guitar
Puzzles
Trucks/Cars
Musical Seahorse (to snuggle with when he wakes)
Although whining and/or pointing are still his favorite forms of communication, he does have several words now, and we have managed to teach him to use some important ones instead of whining to ask for things. He has also just started attempting to repeat lots of words we ask him to say and saying people's names, but the following are words he says on his own all the time.
Words:
Mama
Dada
Bus (he loves to point and yell bus any time we pass one)
Truck (duck)
Up
Hot
Hi
Eyebrow
NaNa
Ball (baw)
Boat (newest word)
**he has also started signing that he's hungry by putting his fingers to his mouth
Animal Sounds:
Bird - caw caw
Elephant - blows air through tight lips making a whistle sound
Rooster - cawk n' caw
Monkey - eh eh eh
Owl - hoo hoo
Horse - quiet but high pitched "aaaaaaa"
Dog - ruff
Cow - moo
Pig and Duck - very quiet "kah"
Developmental Moments Captured:
- As with most toddlers, Elliott has started getting upset when he doesn't get his way. He usually demonstrates this by whining, yelling, crying, jumping up and down while pointing, and at worst holding his fists tight while clenching his teeth (which looks awfully cute to be honest with you). But Elliott also has a very cautious and mindful temperament. One day these two things collided in a way that made me smile - Elliott was very upset about something, so he started to ram his body and head back on the ground from a sitting position (I have seen many babies and toddlers do this, always hitting their heads then crying in shocked pain). He rared back with all his force, but inches away from hitting his head on the ground, he used all his stomach muscles to slow down and gracefully bring his head to the ground with a soft touch. Then he proceeded with his (mini) tantrum.
- Cause and Effect: I always stop Elliott's red car when he sticks his feet out or puts his hand on the wheel and won't start again until he has all limbs in the car. He will often test this rule because he doesn't mind stopping, but he definitely understands it. Recently, I have been fighting a battle with him around opening the drawers of our entertainment center and pulling out all of our DVDs. I, of course, need to put some kind of child lock on them, but in the mean time, he has been driving me insane, and I hear myself constantly saying no to him to absolutely no avail. Then a few days ago I had a brilliant idea. We listen to children's music all day, so when he opened the drawer, I muted the song and told him the song wouldn't play again until the drawer was closed. He tested this rule maybe 3 times, and once he figured it out, he just sat at the drawers whining and pointing at them, desperately wanting to open one, but his desire to listen to music was stronger, so he never did. We'll see how long this lasts, but for now I feel very accomplished!
**I am writing most of the rest of the info in this post out simply because my sister-in-law, Ashley, and I talk all the time about what E was doing at his cousin Benjamin's age, and I already can't remember most of it! This will put it on record for me, so in 9 months I will know where to look to find the answer!**
Food Likes:
Fruit - grapes, manila mangoes, strawberries, bananas (finally!!!), oranges, apples/applesauce
Dried Fruit - madjul dates, cranberries, cherries, apricots
Vegetables - peas, sweat potatoes/sweet potato fries, carrots
Eggs
Avocado
Grilled Cheese/Cheese Toast
Humus on Toast
Baked Beans
Butternut Squash and Jack Cheese Tamales
Tomato Sauce on Pasta (sometimes)
Edamame
Earth's Best Graham Crackers and Cereal Bars
Ice Cream/Cookies - given infrequently or on special outings :)
Vitamin Gummy Bears
Food Extreme Dislikes:
Meat
Milk
Yogurt
Sleep:
After a few months of Mama rocking Elliott to sleep in his glider for nap and bedtime (initially due to throwup bug with bronchitis and yucky teething and then continued because lots of crying once Mama tried to stop, and he was just so sweet in my arms...until it started taking him 30 min or more to fall asleep!), Elliott is finally going to sleep on his own for naps and bedtime - hallelujah! Although I must admit, he wakes just a few hours later (somewhere between 10 PM and 1:30 AM) and sleeps the rest of the night with Mama and Dada. For now, we really love him sleeping with us (well, only if it's once we are ready for bed, which is rarely the case these days; although we can sometimes get him to go back to sleep for a few more hours if we're not ready). But eventually, I think we'll have to work on having him sleep in his own bed the whole night through again. Ugh.
Schedule:
7:00/7:30 - Wake
8:00 - Breakfast with Dada (eggs, strawberries, grapes)
12:00 - Lunch
12:30 - Books
12:45 - Nap
2:15/2:45 - Wake (naps usually 1 1/2 to 2 hours)
6:00 - Dinner
7:20 - Bath
7:30 - Books then Bedtime
Sara, he is just the most adorable little boy! I can't believe he's already 1 1/2 years old! I guess I haven't thought about how he'll be closer in age to Henry than he is to Walter and Grant. Loved reading your post and learning more about Elliott! I can't wait to see you all this summer! love you.
ReplyDeleteLove all the new posts - all NINE of them! I'm glad you included all the details and videos. As you know from my poor memory, it's so easy to forget those precious moments, sounds, and the way he moves. Can't believe you and Brandon were able to capture so many different things he does - even the cute little knees-together bend.
ReplyDeletei loved the whole thing about all E is doing, but i really loved your tactic on the music and dvd drawers...so funny! and the fact that one of his words is 'eyebrow'. that's just so funny and cute!
ReplyDelete